COTO Provisional License

Can I work as an OT before I pass the certification exam?

  • Yes.  COTO will grant you a Provisional Practising Certificate of Registration if you:
    • register with COTO and meet all the eligibility requirements (minus the exam)
    • are registered to write the next available NOTCE
  • Use the Statement of Candidacy Request Form from CAOT to prove this. This form requires your school to confirm that you have completed your MScOT degree
    • have an offer of employment where you will be supervised by an OT
  • Use the Employer Acknowledgement Form from COTO to prove this. It must be signed by both the potential employer and supervising OT
  • After you pass the NOTCE, you will be eligible for the General Practising Certificate of Registration.