Ontario Announces Public Consultation to Support Seniors Strategy Development
Ontario’s government is consulting widely to support the development of a government-wide seniors strategy focused to support seniors to;
- Age at home and in communities;
- Remain healthy, active and socially engaged;
- Stay safe and secure, and
- Participate in the labour market and economy.
The feedback gathered through the 6 week consultation will help inform the new government-wide strategy to improve the lives of seniors and provide the supports and resources to help them live independently, ensure their safety and security, connect them to the community, and help them achieve greater financial security and social connections.
Feedback to an online survey is sought from;
- seniors and their families
- the people who care for seniors
- organizations that support seniors
- advocacy groups, libraries, retirement homes associations
- long-term care homes, hospitals, community care access centres.
- doctors’ offices and pharmacies
View Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility Press Release
Implications for Occupational Therapists
OSOT believes that occupational therapists who work with seniors and their families have much to offer to this public consultation. An OT's wholistic perspectives on issues impacting older adults health, well-being and ability to participate in the occupations that are important and meaningful to them are important to be shared assertively. We encourage members to actively participate:
- Encourage clients, their families and caregivers to complete the online survey
- Send OSOT your input! Take a moment to identify 3 – 5 key messages you’d like the Society to submit as part of an occupational therapy submission to inform a government-wide seniors strategy. Note that all this may engage more than the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care.
- Send your thoughts, advice and recommendations directly to the Consultation Team at OntarioSeniorsStrategy@ontario.ca.
- Deadline for consultation input is July 19, 2019