Frequently Asked Questions about the Occupational Therapist Assistant Membership

We hope we've addressed the most common questions relating to OSOT membership and registration processes. Have a question we haven't addressed? Have a question we haven't addressed? Contact or call 416-322-3011 or 1-877-676-6768.

OSOT Membership

I've never been an OSOT member, what do I need to know about joining?


What is the difference between CAOT, COTO and OSOT?
Ontario occupational therapists can be members of three professional organizations:

  • Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) - is the national voluntary professional association serving Canadian occupational therapists and occupational therapist assistants. CAOT focuses on national issues and health policy and provides support to members through publications, resources, professional development, etc. 


  • College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO) - is the provincial regulator and the only organization an occupational therapist must be registered with in order to practice in Ontario. The College exists under provincial statute – the Regulated Health Professions Act, and exists to protect the public by establishing and enforcing standards of practice and quality assurance measures for the profession of occupational therapy. Currently, there is no regulation for occupational therapist assistants.

  • Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists (OSOT) - is the provincial voluntary professional association serving Ontario occupational therapists and occupational therapist assistants. As health care decisions fall under provincial jurisdiction, OSOT advocates on issues that impact occupational therapy practice closest to home and work. OSOT provides member benefits and services including practice resources, professional development, professional promotion, advocacy, and more.


Can I join OSOT even if my title is not Occupational Therapist Assistant (OTA)? Yes. OTAs may have various titles depending on the area of practice and place of employment. No matter what your work title is, as long as you meet the eligibility criteria, you can become an OSOT member.


I work as a Physiotherapy Assistant (PTA), can I join OSOT?

Yes. OSOT’s resources and professional development are focused on occupational therapy practice which you may find helpful in your PTA role. However, our professional liability insurance is only for tasks you are assigned by a registered occupational therapist and does not cover you under the supervision of a physiotherapist.
I don’t meet the eligibility criteria, but wish to join OSOT - is there another way to get involved?
Yes. You can join as an Associate Member with all the benefits of membership except for access to professional liability insurance. As OTA membership is new to OSOT we welcome you to contact us to see if we can better meet your needs.

Is there a part-time practicing membership category?
No. OSOT has made a commitment to keep ALL membership fees low. We believe members will find excellent value for their membership fee. All member benefits and services are accessible to each membership category.

OSOT's membership year runs from October 1 to September 30. Are fees pro-rated throughout the year?
Yes. OSOT membership fees are pro-rated on a quarterly basis which reduces on January 1st, April 1st and July 1st accordingly. Contact us for any queries.

I’m a New Graduate – when am I eligible for OSOT Membership?
Now. OSOT offers New Graduate membership for FREE. If you are already a student member your membership is automatically updated to the new graduate membership category. Not a student member? Register online .

Does the occupational therapist I work with need to be a member of OSOT in order for me to join or purchase professional liability insurance?

No. Joining an Association is a personal decision and needs to meet your needs. Deciding to join OSOT can significantly enhance your skills and raise your confidence in your practice.


OSOT Membership Application/Renewal Processes


What if I need help finding my OSOT membership number or if I've forgotten my Membership Portal password?
Your OSOT membership number was communicated in the confirmation email you received when you joined or renewed your membership. It came from the email address: . If you have forgotten your login credentials, you can click "Sign In" - which is located in the top right corner of the OSOT homepage  to either retrieve your membership number or to reset your password. If you did not receive an e-mail to reset your password, please send us the request at 

What do I do if I am locked out of the OSOT Membership Portal?
After three unsuccessful attempts to log-in, you will become locked out of accessing your OSOT Membership Portal. Regaining access requires a re-set by OSOT Office staff. Please contact or 416- or 1-877-676-6768 to request a reset.
When and where can I access my official payment receipt and insurance certificate?

Your official receipt and insurance certificate are available to download or print from your membership profile. While logged into the OSOT website, go to: My Profile>>My Receipts or >>My Certificates.

I do not wish to share my compensation information – how is it used?
Providing compensation information is voluntary. It is collected because it helps OSOT monitor and gain insight into trends to support issues and challenges impacting the profession. OSOT publishes a Membership Profile Report that provides insight into the membership as a whole and is used by members to see trends, help set fees, and more. All membership data is used only in aggregate and your personal information is always strictly protected. OSOT complies with privacy and confidentiality policies and procedures.

What information does OSOT share with third party industry partners such as PROLINK, or Sykes? 

    • If you subscribe to OSOT’s Professional Liability or General Liability Insurance policies we seek your permission to share your purchase information with the Society’s insurance broker PROLINK. This ensures your policy enrollment is communicated to the insurer so there is no delay in access to coverage or service.
    • As an OSOT member you have access to a member exclusive Legal Advisory Service which is offered through Sykes Canada. We seek your permission to share your name and member number with Sykes to ensure that when you wish to access the service and speak to a lawyer there is no delay. Sykes also administers the Real Estate Referral Service so this service is also apprised of your eligibility for service.
    • Other industry partners will need to confirm you are an OSOT member if you wish to access their services. In these cases, we share a minimum amount of information, such as full name and OSOT membership ID.


OSOT Insurance Programs


What does OSOT’s Professional Liability Insurance Policy cover?

    • A liability limit of at least $5 million per incident.
    • A minimum coverage of $5 million for the annual policy period, policy holders have $10,000,000 annual coverage.
    • No deductible to the coverage.
    • No additional terms, conditions or exclusion, other than those standard to the insurance industry.
    • Sexual Abuse Therapy and Counselling Fund Endorsement that provides coverage, in respect of each such eligible person, for the maximum amount of funding that may be provided for the person under the Regulated Health Professions Act, 1991, for therapy and counselling as a result of sexual abuse by the Registrant.
    • Cyber and Privacy Liability coverage of $100,000 to protect you in handling confidential client information.
    • A Legal Expenses Endorsement that provides 100% coverage of reasonable legal expenses you may incur relating to a complaint or investigation (subject to a $200,000 annual limit). 
    • A Criminal Defense Reimbursement that provides reimbursement of legal expenses in the investigation and defense of a criminal suit against you if you’re found not guilty. Limit $150,000.

How do I extend my Liability Insurance Coverage when I retire from practice?
As long as you keep your membership active, OSOT professional liability insurance coverage provides seven years of extended coverage for claims made when on an extended leave, after retirement or if you otherwise cease practicing. 

How do I extend my Liability Insurance Coverage when I am on parental/extended leave?

You can renew as a Non-Practicing Member and select the “parental leave” option at Step Nine (9) of the online renewal process, by October 1st. This allows you to select the "complimentary extension" option for your professional liability insurance coverage, provided you have been a previous subscriber.

What is the difference between Professional Liability and General Liability Insurance?
Professional Liability Insurance protects you in the event that a claim or lawsuit alleges your error, omission or malpractice in your delivery of occupational therapy services. Your professional practice is the issue that is being challenged in a claim against you in these cases. Keep in mind the insurance coverage is only related to tasks assigned by a registered Occupational Therapist.


General Liability Insurance addresses your protection in the event of a variety of claims resulting from your actions, but not relating to your professional practice. For example, bodily injury, property damage and libel/slander. Sometimes general liability is related to your professional practice, for example, if you are a home visiting occupational therapist assistant and you accidentally damage a client’s property - such as their landscape with your car, you could be sued for their costs/damages. Keep in mind the insurance coverage is only related to tasks assigned by a registered Occupational Therapist.