College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario

Practicing Occupational Therapy in Ontario

Preparing to work as an OT in Ontario requires that you register with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO) so please be sure to contact them to begin the registration process in advance of when you wish to start work.

Be reminded that the College will grant “provisional registration” to graduates who are awaiting the results of, or the opportunity to write, the national certification exam. You will find that a requirement of COTO is that applicants provide evidence of professional liability insurance coverage that provides for a sexual abuse therapy and counselling fund. OSOT’s Professional Liability Insurance Policy meets and exceeds all the requirements of the College.

Provisional Registration

Can I work as an OT before I pass the certification exam?