Join OSOT's ONCA Subcommittee | Have Your Say in the Future of the Profession and OSOT
The Ontario Society of Occupational Therapists (OSOT) will be creating our next strategic plan for 2023 and beyond. As OSOT looks to the future, another opportunity to consider changes to the core functions and purpose of the Society has arisen. This opportunity is a result of the Ontario Not-for-Profit Corporation Act, 2010 (ONCA) being proclaimed in October 2021. The Act will make it easier for not-for-profit organizations, like OSOT, to operate in Ontario and allows a three-year transition period to make necessary changes to bylaws and function.
Although OSOT already aligns with the new Act, we are taking this opportunity to consider our future direction. This includes considering changes to our letters patent, which currently outline the core functions and purpose of the organization. Including:
- To promote occupational therapy and the profession of occupational therapy
- To provide membership services
- To liaise with relevant groups such as government, other associations, universities
- To provide members with opportunities for professional growth regarding clinical practice, education and research in occupational therapy
- To provide opportunities for networking among occupational therapists
- To represent the members of the corporation for its purposes
- To accept donations, gifts, legacies and bequests
- To carry on without the purpose of gain for its members and any profit or other accretions to the society shall be used in promoting these purposes
In addition to reviewing our letters patent, OSOT will consider changes to the bylaws which provide the overall framework to govern the organization. Changes to the bylaws require membership consultation and approval. This is an exciting opportunity to look toward the future and make key changes that will strengthen the profession and OSOT.
How YOU can get involved:
OSOT is creating an ONCA subcommittee to discuss possible changes to the letters patent and bylaws. Recommendations from this group will be considered by the Board of Directors and the OSOT membership. If you are interested in contributing to this important work, please submit your expression of interest and answer the following question, “why would you be a good fit for this role?” by August 15, 2022. Contact Maria Borczyk or Marnie Lofsky with questions or to submit your expression of interest.